Barry charged over Manchester derby conduct

Manchester City midfielder Gareth Barry has been charged over his behaviour during his side's 3-2 loss to Manchester United, the Football Association announced on Tuesday.

The England international is accused of "using abusive and/or insulting words towards a match official" and has until 1600 GMT on Thursday to respond to the charge.

The charge reportedly concerns an incident that occurred after the end of Sunday's match.

If Barry accepts the accusation, he will be banned for one match but if he attempts to contest it, the suspension could be increased to two matches.

The charge against Barry adds to the fall-out from the stormy encounter at the Etihad Stadium, which saw United claim victory thanks to an injury-time goal by Robin van Persie.

The FA are investigating after United defender Rio Ferdinand was struck by a coin as he celebrated van Persie's goal, while Greater Manchester Police arrested 13 people and charged nine of them for a range of offences.

One of the people charged, 21-year-old City fan Matthew Stott had his season ticket cancelled after he ran onto the pitch to confront Ferdinand in the aftermath of van Persie's goal.

Stott issued an apology for his actions on Monday and said he intended to write to Ferdinand to say sorry.

FA chairman David Bernstein said the incidents were "deplorable" and called for those found responsible to be dealt with "severely".

Police meanwhile revealed on Tuesday that a 15-year-old boy had been arrested on suspicion of sending a racist message to a United player on the micro-blogging site Twitter during the game.

Greater Manchester Police said that the teenager was detained on Monday and is accused of a "racially aggravated public order offence".

He was subsequently released on bail, pending further inquiries.

Loading...