Balotelli and Mancini clash in training-ground row

Mario Balotelli's future at Manchester City was cast into doubt once again on Thursday after photographs emerged showing him in an apparent training-ground bust-up with manager Roberto Mancini.

Media reports claimed that Mancini lost his temper with his Italian compatriot after Balotelli made a reckless challenge on team-mate Scott Sinclair at the club's Carrington training base on the edge of Manchester.

The pictures, published widely in the British media, show Mancini gripping Balotelli's orange bib in an apparent rage, before the two men are separated by members of City's coaching staff.

An eye-witness, quoted in local newspaper the Manchester Evening News, said: "Mancini ran at him -- he was furious. He grabbed hold of him and appeared to try and throw him on the floor.

"It looked like Mario was too strong and he couldn't get him down. Then all the coaches ran in to separate them but Mancini was having none of it. He kept trying to break free and have a go at him again."

Balotelli was also pictured walking to his car in the car park after the end of the session.

The Italy striker, 22, has been a recurrent source of controversy ever since arriving in Manchester from Inter Milan in 2010.

He has twice been dropped from City's match-day squad this season and Mancini has repeatedly warned him that he is in danger of wasting his talent.

In December, Balotelli dropped legal action against City after taking them to a Premier League tribunal in an attempt to overturn a fine of two weeks' wages over his poor disciplinary record last season.

Mancini also chastised him after a sloppy performance in City's 3-2 loss to Manchester United in last month's Manchester derby, in which he was substituted in the 52nd minute.

"I love Mario like a guy, and as a player, but I think it's important for him to start to think about his job if he wants to play well," said Mancini.

"When you have a player with Mario's quality, you can't believe that he throws his quality out of the window.

"I've seen players in my life with fantastic quality who ended up with nothing and I don't want Mario to finish like these players, because it will be bad for him."

Balotelli is yet to play since that game, with a virus having ruled him out of City's festive fixtures, but he could feature in Saturday's FA Cup third-round tie against second-tier Watford.

Loading...
Fantasy Football

Most Popular Stories

  • Study: Samsung phone durable, but iPhone has edge

    Study: Samsung phone durable, but iPhone has edge

    Associated Press
    Study: Samsung phone durable, but iPhone has edge

    NEW YORK (AP) — Samsung's new Galaxy S5 smartphone is more durable than last year's model and other leading Android phones, but the iPhone 5s outperformed all of them in part because of its smaller size, a new study finds. …

  • Armed robber was never told to report to prison

    Armed robber was never told to report to prison

    Associated Press
    Armed robber was never told to report to prison

    ST. LOUIS (AP) — After he was convicted of armed robbery in 2000, Cornealious Anderson was sentenced to 13 years behind bars and told to await instructions on when and where to report to prison. But those instructions never came. …

  • Manchester United ready to sell unhappy Javier Hernandez

    Manchester United ready to sell unhappy Javier Hernandez

    GOAL.com
    Manchester United ready to sell unhappy Javier Hernandez

    The Mexican has complained to David Moyes about his lack of playing time and been told he can leave Old Trafford this summer, with Atletico Madrid interested in the striker …

  • Replacement Asian Games hosts needed fast, not Singapore - Ng

    Replacement Asian Games hosts needed fast, not Singapore - Ng

    Reuters
    Replacement Asian Games hosts needed fast, not Singapore - Ng

    By Patrick Johnston SINGAPORE (Reuters) - The Olympic Council of Asia must move fast to find a replacement city to host the 2019 Asian Games, International Olympic Committee Vice President Ng Ser Miang told Reuters on Friday, but ruled out his suitable Singapore homeland as an option. Vietnam's government announced their surprise decision on Thursday to quit as hosts of the event in their capital Hanoi, citing a lack of preparedness and concerns that holding the multi-sport event for the …

  • Evacuation order came too late for many on ferry

    Evacuation order came too late for many on ferry

    Associated Press
    Evacuation order came too late for many on ferry

    MOKPO, South Korea (AP) — An immediate evacuation order was not issued for the ferry that sank off South Korea's southern coast, likely with about 290 people trapped inside, because officers on the bridge were trying to stabilize the vessel after it started to list, a crew member said Thursday. …