Singapore Bodybuilding Federation delisted by Singapore Sports Council

[UPDATED 21 August 2013 12:30PM: The SBBF has said that it will not appeal the decision by SSC. President Rano Izhar Rahmat told Channel NewsAsia that the federation has not received funding since 2011 "so it is the same thing if he runs SBBF with or without (the funding) as an NSA".]

The Singapore Bodybuilding and Fitness Federation (SBBF) is no longer a National Sports Association (NSA).

The Singapore Sports Council (SSC) announced the revoking of SBBF's status in a press release on Friday.

The shocking decision was made on the heels of "recent developments in SBBF, which called into question its ability and credibility to carry out its responsibilities and obligations", said the statement.

Earlier this year, SSC asked the SBBF to explain a number of controversies, including doping at the Singapore National Bodybuilding and Physique Sports Championships, de-afilliation by the Singapore National Olympic Council and "other governance matters".

SBBF failed to respond by the given deadline of 30 April. When approached by SSC, Rano Izhar Rahmat, president of the federation, did not provide a satisfactory answer, the council added.

SSC said it then concluded that SBBF could "no longer represent or serve the interest of the sport and its athletes in the capacity of a national governing body".

“The leadership of SBBF has consistently shown its inability to lead the sport
of bodybuilding – morally and operationally," said Bob Gambardella, chief of Sports Development Group at SSC.

"The blatant doping violations and administrative incompetence has caused fragmentation within the bodybuilding fraternity," he added. "This decision is made to start to restore credibility and to rebuild the sport of bodybuilding.”

The council earlier this month found the bodybuilding association guilty of breaching an agreement to adopt, abide and implement anti-doping rules set by Anti-Doping Singapore (ADS).

SBBF had allowed bodybuilder Shaifulhaq Bin Ahmad Ishak to join a competition in late June even though he was in the middle of a two-year sports ban for doping in 2012.

[Editor's note: The file photo that was previously featured on this article was that of former national bodybuilder Jonas Asis Tam. We apologise for the erroneous use of his photo as the article in question does not relate to him.]